Family was just playing fetch with their dog by the lake. Now, they are warning others

How can such a simple act end in a tragedy? When one family spent a delightful afternoon at the local lake for a family party, they never thought such a terrible event would follow it.
After playing fetch in and out of the lake, the family's two-year-old Schnauzer named, Hanz, died unexpectedly. He had started showing signs of lethargy after tirelessly playing with his beloved family. Hanz was estimated to have gone in and out of the water at least twenty times that day, which is what probably lead to his unfortunate death.
Advertisement
Inside Edition
Experts believe that Hanz died of water intoxication or a condition called hyponatremia. This condition is a result of swallowing too much water, leading to swelling and eventual brain damage.
Hanz's family is truly heartbroken over the loss of their dog, especially because it could have been prevented. They are now making efforts in warning other families about water intoxication in pets, and how to take proper action from letting it happen in the first place.
Inside Edition
To help raise awareness on water intoxication, please share Hanz's story to others so that another unfortunate tragedy can be prevented.
Advertisement
Resources

Read about one man's mission to give his dogs the best jungle gym ever.
March 21   ·  
Advertisement
We've come to the conclusion that dog is not just man's best friend, but also baby's.
March 21   ·  
Thousands of stray dogs wander the beaches of Sal Verde looking for food and affection. One man tries to capture that with his camera so the world can see their plight.
March 21   ·  
A diver knows he can't ignore the pain and suffering this giant whale shark must be feeling.
March 20   ·  
When Joao Pereira de Souza saved a penguin he found dying on the beach, the thought releasing him would be the end.
March 17   ·  
This little guy is one determined critter.
March 16   ·  
 
Recommended
Advertisement